Wednesday, August 22, 2007

An IVES Standard Gauge Rarity!

Congratulations to the winning bidder who won this gem on EBAY. I'm not an IVES expert and I'll have to consult my reference books, but I believe this is an extremely rare black painted late 1926 or early 1927 casting lettered "1132." This cast iron casting is usually found in green paint and lettered "1134" and "President Washington" and was a one year only item for 1927. In 1928 IVES introduced a new zinc casting for the 1134 series of locomotives. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong or shed more light on this interesting piece. Oh yes, it closed at $5.4K.

Here's an update from Randy Berger as posted to the Standard Gauge list:

The black 1132 with the 4-4-0 wheel arrangement is an uncatalogued loco
from 1928. IVES did not receive the new 1134 loco castings in time to start
shipping sets. They painted several cast-iron 1927 1134 locos (the Pres.
Washington) black and labeled them 1132. They had the die-cast tenders and so
was born a rare variation. They do turn up from time to time and always command
a good deal of money. They do not have the engineer figure in the window.


Jim

No comments: