Monday, September 13, 2004

Sniped on eBay

I just got severely sniped again on eBay. Probably for the best, I really didn't need the stuff I was bidding on anyway.

I guess it is good for the seller but it is mighty distasteful for me. This really jacks up the price quick and makes some items rather expensive and unpalatable.

What does everyone else think of this practice? What I am referring to is when you bid on eBay, someone uses some technology or just plain timing and sneaks in at the last minute and outbids you. Sometimes outrageously.

Anyone have any experiences or thoughts on this?

Marc

2 comments:

Axinar said...

Well, that's why they say, bid the most you are willing to pay and then go away.

Oh ... and be careful on bidding on the next item once you have been outbid ... there seems to be a rash of bid yankings going on.

I ended up with two copies of Galactica 2003 that way.

alex said...

I pretty much use esnipe for eveything now...not to be malicious but most of the time I am not around to bid in real time, sometimes I just forget what I want to bid on so I put it in enipe right away, and sometimes with obscure stuff I don't want to bid early and have someone find it by searching on my name as a bidder. But the way I use esnipe doesn't increase the price, I just bid the maximum I am willing to go, whether that's 6 days or 6 seconds before the auction ends. And I don't thing sniping could raise the prices too much, people will bid their max regardless, the only thing sniping will do is maybe allow someone to submit just one more higher bid in the last second, and that's only like a 5% raise on the previous bid. You want to see real price jacking, go to ao live auction where its only over when eveyone is done, and emotions can get out of hand. At least ebay has a clock to keep people in check.