Wednesday, March 28, 2007

MTH One Gauge Catalog

The new MTH One Gauge catalog is up.

The GG1 is one of the more impressive renditions I have seen in a large scale train. I may have to purchase one eventhough real estate in my train room is nil and there seems to be plenty of empty space in my bank account.

I've seen some other One Gauge GG1's and the usual cost is in the stratosphere. Figure $5k and above.

I have the Hudson and a Big Boy now. I liked the engines and they are spectacular out of the box, even if you don't run them. I think this GG1 will be no different. I am not a prodigious collector of One Gauge so I can't say with any certainty that these are lethally great models, I just know I like them and everyone that sees them ooohhhs and aaahhhs.

What is it with this engine anyway? It has a distinctive design to be sure. I worked for many years with a gentleman that drove GG1's for a living before he worked with me. He absolutely couldn't stand them. He said they were hot, had horrible visibility and emitted some really bad gasses internally (sounds like some York attendees).

Bad puns aside, I think it almost goes without saying that the GG1, Hudson and the Santa Fe F3 have been produced more than any other train in the US for a whole bunch of gauges. This one and the trains in this catalog are definitely worth a look, even if you don't like One Gauge.

I just wish a little effort went into shrinking this just a little bit and putting it on standard gauge track. Now that would be a tinplate catalog that we'd be talking about for a few years!!

Marc

PS As soon as I get my hands on the monorails I'll do some Youtube vids and post my observations.

No comments: