Sunday, March 22, 2009

Starting the Layout



Well, I have started my standard gauge layout. This is a little bit of a psychological challenge for me. The last full blown layout I did (not inlcuding my floor) was from when I was 12 years old (I worked on it until I was about 16).

A new layout is a lot like a blank canvas. Eventhough I have all of the right toys to go on it and paint one heck of a nice picture, it still is daunting. How daunting? Well, it took me about 8 years to get here (my attic has been completely finished for about 9 years). I know, it sounds pathetic. But creating is much harder than buying. Buying toys is easy, building a great layout and having fun running them is another part of the hobby, the actual creative part.

And I am definitely looking forward to it! If anyone has any ideas....

marc

2 comments:

Jim Kelly-Evans said...

Think levels, Marc...a great lesson I learned in Japan where space is at a premium...build up! Plan for an elevated line as well as a subway.

Anonymous said...

I'm a fan of less = more, in that giving pieces room to breath helps accent and display them. But that is nearly impossible to do with STDG unless it is on a huge scale like the SGMA layout.

That said, one idea I had was to designate areas on a layout as spots for structures and accessories but swap them out periodically. Maybe have an area for a station but change the actual station every 6 months. This lets you display a variety from your collection and keeps things entertaining. Sorta like changing the train on the track for variety.

Good luck.

Bert