Thursday, May 10, 2007

Leland Unboxing Continued

The Lockon for the monorail is kind of funky. MTH really captured this thing well. I have never seen much of this done before.

The lockon is basically a bit of copper that fits inside of the track. It works and I understand the design, I just wish MTH had put in one small feature....

There is no transformer with the set. I know, I know, MTH listed the contents in the catalog and it wasn't there. Most of the major power is attached to my trains in the attic. Most of MTH's RTR sets that come with track also come with a transformer. The transformer that I used actually came from the 384E Jersey Central set. It actually worked out well. It's a nit.

The other thing that I would have liked to see is in the lockon. It's one of the few places where I would have liked MTH to deviate just a little from the original. The lockon has two screws for the ground and hot power lines. In many of the MTH lockons that I have used, they have put holes through the screws so the wire from the transformer can be threaded. In this implementation, they want you to put the wire inbetween the washers on the lockon and lock down the wiring using the thumb screws and washers. Maybe I have it wrong but I don't think so. It's not a big deal, I just like the way MTH does it on their O gauge and standard gauge lockons. Maybe I got used to it, now I just plain count on it.

Ok, now that I got that out of my system, check out the paint on this base. MTH really did a great job on every part of this set. The bases are heavy and cast and the red paint really stands out on them.




Ok, I know what you're thinking. I've spent a substantial amount of time discussing the particulars, show the set running! Here's a Youtube of the Monorail doing the station stops.

No comments: