Thursday, August 05, 2004

The Parts to Make Standard Gauge (Part I)


Guess where all of these parts for standard gauge came from? Well, let's just say that Jim Cohen can't go out to Madison Hardware and buy these things. He has to buy 90% of this stuff in raw material form and then make the parts himself! That's right, this stuff is all custom made!

I will post quite a few additional pics of the raw materials, tools and new standard gauge trolley's about to be born. Everytime I go to Jim's, I walk away green with envy. It isn't envy for all the beautiful standard gauge this man makes, I am envious of his amazing talent to make this stuff and the amount of pure experience and savvy he has to back up his goods. There's a whole lot to be said for experience (especially for a society that seems to covet youth and discard our elders along with their breadth of experience, knowledge and wisdom).

I just hope (if I hang around enough) that a little bit of this train wisdom rubs off. Making something from nothing (especially terrific standard gauge) is a lost art.

More pics on the way...

PS I have some movies as well but I can't figure out how to post them on a blog.... Posted by Hello

No comments: