Friday, October 27, 2006

Ross Custom Switches

Looks like Ross is working on some new switches. My experience with them in O gauge has been extremely positive. I have to believe stanard gauge would be similar. Here are the questions from RCS:

Hi Guys,

Today we have started work on our new standard gauge line of switches. WE NEED INPUT! I do have some standard gauge myself, noteably an MTH state set and a few others. But since

I am not a standard gauge guy, I am hoping for some input here as these switches (turnouts) are designed. I have a Rydin switch in hand at the moment and some MTH track.

I have determined the following;

1. The gauge between the rails is 2.1" Is this correct?

2. The height of the rail is .350"

3. The narrowest part of the frog, where the lead rails converge is .2"

4. I read somewhere that some engines have the large diameter gears (like some Marx O gauge) on the back of the wheels that can interfere with the wheels passing thru the frog. Is this true?

5. What about pickups? We want Pre-war and modern equipment to run thru them right?
Does pre-war have sliding center rail pickup shoes and what has pick up rollers?

6. What is the widest width of the wheel flanges that you have seen? What is the narrowest?

7. What is the widest wheel tread known? What is the narrowest?

8. What problems have you encountered with standard gauge switches? Such as stalling, derailing, etc.

9. The base will be plastic with plastic ties milled in. What scale shall we make the ties....I mean should we make them closer to scale width and spacing or more like the Rydin switch?

10. What scale is most standard gauge closest to...I.E. 1/32 or 1/29?

Today I am working on a prototype for a #4 switch. If all goes well we will make any number of different turnouts, YES, INCLUDING A 4-WAY!!

The faster I can get as much info as possible the sooner these will become reality.

HERE IS THE STANDARD MANS OPPORTUNITY TO BE ABLE TO OPERATE JUST LIKE "O" GAUGERS!! PASS THIS INFO AROUND, ALL INPUT WILL BE APPRECIATED!

Happy Railroading!
Steve
President/CEORoss Custom Switches
steve@rossswitches.com

No comments: