Saturday, December 09, 2006

Road Trip

Marc posted recently about accessories, so here's a look at one of my favorite accessories - my "accessory of the day" for today. This American Flyer goodie is a tough one to find in original, complete, condition because of the "zincpest" problem. Luckily, there are replacement castings available for some of the components that make up this accessory, which is known in some circles as "the monument." It's an impressive piece that looks great on any standard gauge layout.

Well, I'm off to Reading, Pennsylvania in a little while to attend the Great Train Expo there. My dad was born in Reading and he used to take me and my brothers there on day trips when we were kids. It's been a long time since I've be there, though. Dad died a few years ago but I'll be thinking of him as I drive to the show. My parents got me started with trains, so I'll be continuing the family tradition as I walk the aisles. I don't go to these shows looking for anything in particular, rather I just like to look at trains and talk to people about what's on their tables. You never know what you'll find, even at these dealer-oriented exhibitions. Books on tinplate, catalogs, and other paper and paraphernalia often show up, and once in a while some standard gauge tinplate treasure!

Jim Kelly

2 comments:

Standard Gauge Blogger said...

As per usual, another great item from Jim Kelly....

By the way, the train show in the Westchester County Center in White Plains, NY is 12/17/06. The Great Train Show in Hartford, CT is 2/3/07.

Marc

Anonymous said...

Those castings are in amazing shape. And I like the color combo.

Bert